The Daily Beast has chosen who they think are the Breakout Stars for 2009 and Channing Tatum tops their list. Here's what they had to say about Chan and why they feel 2009 is his year...
The Daily Beast predicts this promising crop of young actors will hit the big time this year. From Lenny Kravitz’ daughter to Michael Cera’s girlfriend, meet the class of 2009.
Yes, you’ve seen Channing before. He was in the teen dance-off Step Up, the Queens indie A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, and the Iraq soldier drama Stop-Loss. But 2009 is going to be the Year of Tatum. (You heard it here first.) He will star opposite Big Love’s Amanda Seyfried in Dear John, the latest adaptation of a Nicholas Sparks novel to transition to the big screen—basically, this year’s The Notebook. Then he appears in Michael Mann’s 1930s gangster noir, Public Enemies, with Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, and Billy Crudup. He will play an action figure in the fall’s big G.I. Joe film, and will star in Fighting, another indie about a New York scam artist who enters the world of underground street brawls. There will be a lot of Tatum without a shirt on in 2009. Happy New Year.
The Daily Beast also chose the following TV and FIlm actors for their list of Breakout Stars:
- Carey Mulligan ('Brothers', 'Public Enemies'),
- Chris Pine ('Star Trek'),
- Charlyne Yi ('Knocked Up, 'Paper Heart'),
- Zoe Kravitz ('No Reservations', 'The Greatest'),
- Olivia Wilde ("House", 'The Year One', 'TRON 2.0'),
- Johnny Simmons ('Hotel for Dogs', 'The Greatest', 'Jennifer’s Body'),
- Melanie Lynskey ("Two and a Half Men", 'The Informant', 'Away We Go'),
- Aziz Ansari ('Observe and Report', 'I Love You, Man'),
- Danielle Panabaker ('Friday the 13th', 'Renaissance Girl'),
- Jon Foster ('The Informers'),
- Rachael Taylor ('Splinterheads', "Washingtonienne"),
- Cam Gigandet ('Pandorum', 'Five Star Day', 'Kid Cannabis'),
- Mia Wasikowska ('Alice in Wonderland', 'Amelia'),
- Saoirse Ronan ('The Lovely Bones ', ' Nottingham'), and
- Taylor Lautner ('New Moon').