WE'RE MOVIN' ON UP...

Thursday, April 16, 2009

IN THE PRESS: Why Channing Tatum Really Wanted to Play Gambit in Hugh Jackman's 'Wolverine'

Channing Tatum at the 'Stop-Loss' Press Conference at the Four Seasons Hotel on March 16, 2008 in Beverly Hills, California (High Quality - HQ)Last year, a little birdie told me about how excited Channing Tatum was when he won the role of Gambit and how equally disappointed he was when scheduling conflicts stopped him from being able to take on the coveted role in Hugh Jackman's 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'.

Today, MTV's Splashpage just posted an interview where Chan himself talks about the personal reason why he wanted the role so badly and how he feels about Taylor Kitsch (the actor who was later chosen to play the character)...




‘G.I. Joe’ Star Channing Tatum Mourns Missed Chance At Playing Gambit In ‘Wolverine’ Movie

Published by Silas Lesnick on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Though he’s all over the map this summer with April’s “Fighting,” July’s “Public Enemies” and August’s “G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra,” actor Channing Tatum’s biggest regret is missing the chance to play Cajun card player Gambit in May’s “X-Men Origins: Wolverine“.

Tatum, a self-professed comic book fan, holds the trench-coated mutant near and dear to his heart. According to Tatum, Gambit has always been his number-one superhero and one to which he feels a personal connection.

“Man, I was dying to play [Gambit],” Tatum told MTV News. “My dad’s from Louisiana and I think I’ve always just gravitated towards Gambit in general. He’s just cooler than anything to me.”

Tatum very nearly got his chance when he was all-but cast as Gambit’s alter ego, Remy LeBeau, in Brett Ratner’s “X-Men: The Last Stand”. The character, however, was dropped at the last minute.

“They didn’t end up putting his character in because he’s such a big character that they were waiting…”

When it was decided that Gambit would make his big-screen debut in “Wolverine” instead, Tatum was immediately contacted about the role, but found that it would be impossible to work out in terms of schedule due to his commitments with “G.I. Joe.” The role ultimately went to Taylor Kitsch instead, a choice that Tatum endorses with just a little bit of jealousy.

“I’m really interested to see how the guy plays him because I have a pretty clear version of Gambit in my head,” Tatum. “I’m sure the guy is going to be great, though.”



Love Channing Tatum? Stay in the Know...
Subscribe to Channing Tatum Unwrapped: Email | RSS | Twitter


Fandango  - We've Got Your Movie Tickets!

No comments: