I found a few bits of news about Channing Tatum's films 'Public Enemies‘ , 'Step Up 3-D' (not officially his film, but news regardless), 'Pinkville', and 'G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra' this past week. Check out today's Channing Tatum Movie Bytes to get the latest scoop. Enjoy!!!
Entertainment Weekly declared the trailer for Channing Tatum's real-life crime drama 'Public Enemies' a "must see" last week. Here's what they had to say about the highly-anticipated film...
- "Hat rakishly tilted, machine gun at the ready, Johnny Depp looks like he's having a blast playing bank robber John Dillinger in the Michael Mann drama, also starring Christian Bale and Oscar winner Marion Cotillard. Between this and Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, we've got two gritty period shoot-'em-ups to look forward to this year."
- "Had the chance to see a very early screening of Michael Mann’s Public Enemies tonight and wanted to share some thoughts with you all. A few spoilers here so tread with caution.First off, it’s incredibly entertaining. Unlike other biopics, this one drops you right into story. No flashbacks of Johnny Dillinger extorting kids on the playground, the movie begins with Johnny Depp’s Dillinger and his crew knocking over a bank with precision and style. On the other side of the law, Christian Bale’s G-Man Purvis starts the movie hunting down Pretty Boy Floyd. It’s an interesting and welcome approach. Here’s a cop, here’s a robber. Go.
- Along the way, Dillinger picks up a girlfriend (the beautiful Marion Cotillard) and Purvis is appointed the head of the task force by J Edgar Hoover (a more clothed, and less blue Billy Crudup.) The next two plus hours is basically focused on Dillinger and how he made his name. As I mentioned, I found it very entertaining...70% of the movie is Dillinger robbing, shooting, and charming his way across Iowa and Illinois."
STEP UP 3-D
I knew that watching all of those episodes of Scoobie Doo, Matlock, and Murder She Wrote would pay off one day. I was able to crack the case of the un-named dance movie that director Jon M. Chu mentions in a video he released on his Youtube channel last week. Here's how I broke the case wide open (as they say)...
Via a tweet from Production Weekly last month, I learned that 'Step Up 3-D' is scheduled to start filming in May in New York City. Since we know that 'Step Up 2: The Streets' director Jon M. Chu, break out star Adam Sevani, and dancer/actress Alyson Stoner (Chan's foster sister from 'Step Up') will be returning in the third installment of the extremely popular 'Step Up' films, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that 'Step Up 3-D' is the un-named dance movie that Jon is referring to in his video. Plus, he also confirms the fact that he's currently working on his next film in New York. Honestly, I really didn't even have to pull out my trusty detective kit for this one.
Jon is looking for unique dancers to audition by submitting videos via Youtube, and the deadline is this Wednesday (March 25th), so dancers should get their submissions in fast if you want a chance to be a part of 'Step Up 3-D'! You can watch Jon's video below to learn all about the auditions...
It's my understanding that 'Step Up 3-D' is supposed to hit an IMAX theater near you some time in 2010.
In a recent MTV interview director Oliver Stone eluded to the fact that the 'Pinkville' project that Channing is slated to star in, but was postponed around the time of the infamous 2007 writer's strike, may not be as "dead" as previously thought. You can read Stone's response below that gives fans of the yet-to-be-made film a little hope...
- "One project that Stone is sticking by is “Pinkville,” a feature about the 1968 My Lai massacre in Vietnam, which was set to film with Bruce Willis, Woody Harrelson and Cam Gigandet until the writers’ strike interrupted development in late 2007. “‘Pinkville’ is not dead,” Stone said of what would be his fourth film about that war. “I own it. I could activate it again. I don’t know if the time is right now with the Iraq War still going on, but I love that project and it’s an important one. My Lai is a forgotten piece of history that’s crucial to remember. You never know, these things come alive.”
G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA
Last week, Channing Tatum's 'G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra' had another screening, but this time Paramount Pictures showed a five-minute "sizzle reel" of footage to journalists, exhibitors, and executives in Sydney, Australia. Below, you can read a recap of the footage shown via the Australian movie news site Dark Horizons...
- "Until now the only footage screened from the film has been the thirty-second Superbowl spot. While repeating some scenes from that, this expanded on what was shown and combined finished effects with animatics and live-action footage.The footage established the premise that an international military task force has been setup to combat global threats. The base of operations seems to be a sandy desert somewhere with one of the early effects shots showing a secret circular hangar bay door opening for an advanced Harrier-like jet to land.
- Later on we see two lumps racing under the sand and disturbing a caravan of camels.The main thrust of the story in the film is that the COBRA organization have taken microscopic robot nanites, originally developed as a way to cure cancer, and have been able to reprogram them to do almost anything. A demonstration involves the launch of a missile containing some nanites that have been programmed to eat metal. The missile is fired from some sort of underwater vehicle in The Seine, it streaks across Paris and hits the Eiffel tower. The tower is eaten away, bits of the lower arches start falling off as people scatter, and the tower itself collapses.Destro (Christopher Eccleston) talks about the plan and is seen operating from COBRA's own secret base which is a huge underwater facility under the Arctic ice.
- Much of the visual effects footage, albeit mostly incomplete, showed what looked like a climactic attack by GIJOE's forces against this base - think "Thunderball" meets "Seaquest" with lots of sleek looking CG submersibles attacking similar vehicles and/or the giant metal spires that make up the various wings of the facility.Another big portion of the footage is devoted to the body armor worn by the good guys. The body suit essentially covers everything but their face (which is covered in retractable glass/plastic) and is said to enhance a person's strength, speed and agility. We briefly glimpse the CG heads up display on the inside of each helmet as well.Cut to a truly bizarre scene in Paris where two people (Channing Tatum and Marlon Wayans I think) in the suits are running through the streets as European luxury cars with retractable guided missile launchers built into them fire rockets at the duo. The two guys jump, flip, dive through a train, get flung off the back of a truck that gets blown up, etc. Later on there's a scene with The Baroness (Sienna Miller) on top of a a building's massive glass ceiling as Tatum's character lands on the far side. As he runs towards her, she sets off some device and the ceiling explodes upwards in a massive shower of glass that sends him tumbling.
- While we glimpse Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow in the footage a few times, there was no sign or even hint of Cobra Commander as far as I can recall."
'G.I. Joe' is scheduled to hit theaters on August 7,2009. For all of the movies in this post, you can go to the CTU Calendar to get the current list of international release dates.